Everyone has a busy schedule that can really eat into your gym time. Most of us have more excuses to justify missing the gym than anything else! “I’m too tired from work.” “I need to feed my dog.” “This season of Grey’s Anatomy won’t binge watch itself.” Blah, blah, blah. We’ve heard it all before, but no one cares about your silly reasons for skipping your workout. So, here are 6 easy ways to make sure you get the exercise you need to stay healthy and happy despite your crazy schedule!
1. Pencil it into your calendar: I know you have a very busy life, so if you need to, literally schedule time for exercise. Maybe you enjoy running. Pencil it in from 7am-8am. Perhaps the gym is more your thing. In between the end of the day and your daughter’s dance class at 7pm, grab some Driven 1.0 to pump you up and schedule an hour trip to the gym to do whatever floats your boat. If it’s written down in your planner (or on your phone) as an actual event you’re more likely to do it.
2. Grab a friend: I’m well aware that many people don’t like going to the gym or working out by themselves. It can be very intimidating, especially if you’re new to exercising. If this sounds like you, grab a friend and make a plan together! It can be much easier to get those work outs in when you have someone else pushing you along.
3. Walk (or run) on lunch: Do you have an hour lunch? Well, why don’t you use that time to walk? At my very first full-time job, my friends and I did this all the time. We’d grab our lunch group and use half of our time to go on a 30 minute walk around town. Some people at my office even went on full out runs and bike rides! (I only recommend this if you don’t mind being smelly or sweaty at work since most offices don’t have showers). Either way, it’s an easy time to get in a few minutes of exercise. Plus, you’ll come back feeling refreshed for the second half of your day.
4. Pack your bag and go right from work: I’ve fallen into the trap of going home after work and then never wanting to leave again to go to the gym. In order to avoid this, pack your gym bag in the morning and go right from work. This means making sure you pack a healthy pre-workout meal as well as your supplements like Driven 1.0 and Intra-Drive to help boost your energy! Or, if you’re an early bird you could always go before work instead! This way, it’s just another part of your day and you’ll feel great once you get home.
5. You don’t have to do it every day, but try to most days: I work out 6 days a week, but that doesn’t mean you have to! The goal should be between 3-5 days of exercise and it doesn’t always have to be the same days. If this week you can do Monday, Wednesday, Friday, but next week you can only do Tuesday, Wednesday, Saturday, there’s nothing wrong with that! Just get in that exercise as often as you can whenever your schedule permits.
6. Make it a habit: The best way to make sure you work out? Make it a habit! If you can follow a pretty consistent schedule for 2 weeks to 1 month, it will eventually start to be second nature. It’ll feel weird if you skip your normal yoga or step class. If you can make it to the point where it’s just a part of your life, you’ll be that much closer to having a less stressful, happier, and healthier existence.
What other tips do you have for exercising despite a busy schedule?